|Anonymous | Login | Signup for a new account||2015-07-02 05:18 UTC|
|My View | View Issues | Change Log | Roadmap|
|View Issue Details|
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0000371||OpenFOAM||[All Projects] Bug||public||2011-12-22 22:59||2011-12-23 09:25|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version||2.1.x|
|Summary||0000371: Incorrect behaviour of PIMPLE loop in unsteady simulations|
|Description||PIMPLE solvers seem to have an incorrect behaviour when the residualControl feature is used:|
- The solver correctly performs the number of PIMPLE correctors if the solution does *not* converge.
- When the solution converges, the PIMPLE iteration is interrupted, the time is advanced, but the number of PIMPLE iterations is not re-initialized.
|Steps To Reproduce||Run, for example, the tutorial "angledDuct" for rhoPimpleFoam. Observe what happens at the time steps from Time = 6 to Time = 10. |
- The solution converges in 45 iterations (50 is the maximum allowed) at Time = 6. The loop is interrupted, and time advanced (correct behavior).
- The new time-step starts (Time = 7), but the code states "PIMPLE: iteration 46", then it performs one iteration, and it states the solution converged in 47 iterations.
- The time is advanced again (Time = 8), and the code states "PIMPLE: iteration 48", it does one iteration, and states "PIMPLE: converged in 49 iterations".
- Same behaviour at Time = 9, but the solution does not converge "in 50 iterations". At this point, Time is increased again, and PIMPLE iterations start from zero for the new time-step.
See attached log for the output of the solver.
|Additional Information||If my understanding is correct, the expected behavior should be that at the end of the time-step, if the solution is converged, the number of PIMPLE iterations is reset to zero, so that 50 iterations are allowed for the new time-step. |
The current behaviour leads to incorrect results in transient simulations.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Attached Files|| output.log [^] (8,340 bytes) 2011-12-22 22:59|
pimpleControl.C.patch [^] (343 bytes) 2011-12-23 00:06 [Show Content]
I attach a proposed patch, where corr_ is reset to zero in pimpleControl.C, if convergence criteria are satisfied:
00197 if (criteriaSatisfied())
00199 Info<< algorithmName_ << ": converged in " << corr_ << " iterations"
00200 << endl;
00201 completed = true;
corr_ = 0; // Added code
Thanks for the report - bug corrected in commit:
|2011-12-22 22:59||albertop||New Issue|
|2011-12-22 22:59||albertop||File Added: output.log|
|2011-12-23 00:05||albertop||Note Added: 0000865|
|2011-12-23 00:06||albertop||File Added: pimpleControl.C.patch|
|2011-12-23 09:25||andy||Note Added: 0000866|
|2011-12-23 09:25||andy||Status||new => resolved|
|2011-12-23 09:25||andy||Fixed in Version||=> 2.1.x|
|2011-12-23 09:25||andy||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2011-12-23 09:25||andy||Assigned To||=> andy|