View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Issue History ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0000307OpenFOAM[All Projects] Bugpublic2011-10-05 14:002011-10-14 15:47
Reporterolivier.macchion@lilleaker.com 
Assigned Tohenry 
PrioritynormalSeveritycrashReproducibilityalways
StatusresolvedResolutionfixed 
PlatformLinuxOSUbuntuOS Version10.04
Product Version2.0.x 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0000307: realizableKE crashes motorbike tutorial as well as my own cases - works in 1.7.1
DescriptionIn the motorbike simpleFoam tutorial, if I change to kEpsilon turbulence model, create an epsilon file in 0/, with a turbulentEpsilon of 0.0075, and add div(phi,epsilon) in fvSchemes and an epsilon dictionary in fvSolution, and all the other missing entries, I get it to work.

But if I change to realizableKE, then it fails.

I tried in 1.7.1 and it works.

This is consistent with other cases I have been running (or trying to run).
Steps To Reproducesee above
TagsNo tags attached.
Attached Filestxt file icon log_motorbike.txt [^] (3,287 bytes) 2011-10-05 14:00 [Show Content]
tar file icon channel.tar [^] (204,800 bytes) 2011-10-14 07:56

- Relationships

-  Notes
(0000685)
henry (manager)
2011-10-05 14:30

The realizableKE model is very sensitive to mesh quality and you may find you need to generate a finer mesh for the motobitke to improve quality to use this model or you could select "Gauss pointLinear" as the scheme for grad(U) to ensure the cubic term in grad(U) in the model behaves more smoothly.
(0000698)
olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com (reporter)
2011-10-07 07:32

Thank you Henry.
I will try that.
Kind regards
Olivier
(0000699)
olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com (reporter)
2011-10-07 08:38

Hi Henry
It doesn't help to change to pointLinear in the gradient schemes.
I wonder one thing: if it is as you say then it should not work in 1.7.1 either. But the motorbike tutorial does work fine with the realizableKE in OpenFOAM 1.7.1.

I will try to see what changes have been done between the two versions.

Kind regards

Olivier
(0000712)
olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com (reporter)
2011-10-14 08:03

Hi Henry

I uploaded a channel.tar file containing a channel case that runs fine for OpenFOAM 1.7.1 with realizableKE (except that you need to run the blockMesh with blockMesh 2.0.1) but not with OpenFOAM 2.0.1 with realizableKE.

Run like this:
cp -r 0.org/* 0
blockMesh (from 2.0.1 otherwise it complains that the patches dictionary is missing)
potentialFoam -noFunctionObjects -writep
simpleFoam (for 1.7.1)
simpleFoam (for 2.0.1)

In the tar file there is a log file for OpenFOAM 1.7.1 and a log file for OpenFOAM 2.0.1 showing that it does work with OpenFOAM 1.7.1.

Kind regards

Olivier
(0000713)
henry (manager)
2011-10-14 14:57

My understandeng from your initial post was that the realizableKE model runs for a while but that the case diverges and then crashes. Now that I run your simple case here I see that the crash is actually a segmentation fault which is an entirely different issue. Attaching the error message from the log would have been very helpful in assessing the problem and providing a fix quickly.

Further investigation shows that the problem is not to do with the realizableKE model per se but with the caching of grad(U) which is resolved by

commit 0dbedd3676028dedc199623836f4e745c9f027f0
(0000714)
olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com (reporter)
2011-10-14 15:15

Hi

Thanks Henry, but what do you mean by "Further investigation shows that the problem is not to do with the realizableKE model per se but with the caching of grad(U) which is resolved by

commit 0dbedd3676028dedc199623836f4e745c9f027f0"

Where can I find out what "commit 0dbedd3676028dedc199623836f4e745c9f027f0" means?

Sorry to be a bother about this. Just new to Mantis I guess.

Kind regards

Olivier
(0000715)
henry (manager)
2011-10-14 15:47

commit 0dbedd3676028dedc199623836f4e745c9f027f0 is the commit into the OpenFOAM-2.0.x git repository corresponding to the bug fix for your problem.

See http://www.openfoam.org/git.php [^] and https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.0.x [^]

- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2011-10-05 14:00 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com New Issue
2011-10-05 14:00 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com File Added: log_motorbike.txt
2011-10-05 14:30 henry Note Added: 0000685
2011-10-07 07:32 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Note Added: 0000698
2011-10-07 08:38 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Note Added: 0000699
2011-10-14 07:56 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com File Added: channel.tar
2011-10-14 08:03 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Note Added: 0000712
2011-10-14 14:57 henry Note Added: 0000713
2011-10-14 14:57 henry Status new => resolved
2011-10-14 14:57 henry Resolution open => fixed
2011-10-14 14:57 henry Assigned To => henry
2011-10-14 15:15 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Note Added: 0000714
2011-10-14 15:15 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Status resolved => feedback
2011-10-14 15:15 olivier.macchion@lilleaker.com Resolution fixed => reopened
2011-10-14 15:47 henry Note Added: 0000715
2011-10-14 15:47 henry Status feedback => resolved
2011-10-14 15:47 henry Resolution reopened => fixed